After man’s wheelchair battery dies, officer helps with groceries: Forest Grove police log

Not every police agency provides a log of its responses, and few do it with the finesse of the Forest Grove Police Department. Every week, we post the goings on as provided by this community 25 miles west of Portland, not because it’s earth-shatteringly important, but because it provides a glimpse into the world of modern small-town policing.

During the week, Forest Grove police officers were engaged in more than 499 activities, both reported and self-initiated. Here are some of the highlights:

August 9

• An officer on patrol noticed a large fire in a vacant field and spotted a man known to police leaving the area. The man refused to stop upon request, and, after a short chase, allegedly resisted arrest and was ultimately taken to the ground. The resulting fire caused several explosions, likely from propane tanks in the area. Forest Grove Fire responded and extinguished the blaze. The man was arrested.


• Police checked on a man who was reportedly slumped over in a vehicle in a parking lot. Officers were unable to locate anyone matching the description, but did find a man nearby heating a spoon full of suspected heroin with related drug paraphernalia in his lap. The man was cited for unlawful possession.

• A man called to report that he had been attacked and his wallet stolen. While still on the phone, the man said he had actually found his wallet and changed his mind about reporting the alleged attack.

August 10

• A caller reported their neighbor was digging up bamboo roots and throwing them over their fence.

• A man called police to report finding human blood on his kitchen cutting board, possibly in an attempt to frame him for the murder of his sister. Police contacted the sister and found her to be alive and well, and believe the caller may have been experiencing mental health issues.

• A man and woman were allegedly in a physical altercation, throwing things in an apartment complex parking lot. The man, believed to be the instigator, attempted to flee but was caught by officers who had surrounded the location. The man surrendered and was arrested on multiple charges.

August 11

• A caller reported that a car load of kids had driven around throwing eggs the night before.

• A caller reported that a man parked along a neighborhood street appeared to be headed toward a possible transient camp under the bridge. Officers did not locate a vehicle, person or camp matching the description.

• A caller reported two suspicious people rifling through someone’s belongings outside a local residence. Officers contacted the pair who hadn’t taken anything, but were simply admiring the resident’s lawn decor.

August 12

• A caller reported that they had left a recording device inside a bedroom safe which captured audio of what sounded like their fiancé and someone else “enjoying” said bedroom. Police found no evidence of anything criminal.

• An anonymous caller reported that two people were being held at gunpoint near a local convenience store. Officers arrived but found no evidence of a disturbance.

• A caller reported a woman, possibly intoxicated, was damaging property at an apartment complex. Police arrived and found a man and woman had been drinking heavily and got into an argument which escalated into a scuffle, during which some property belonging to the man was indeed damaged. Neither party wanted to be a victim, and both separated for the night.

August 13

• Officers checked on a man reported to be unconscious inside a running vehicle and found him to have an outstanding felony warrant and to be in possession of suspected heroin and drug paraphernalia. A search of the vehicle also yielded a substantial amount of marijuana and eight bottles of liquor, among other items. He was arrested.

• A man received a threatening notice stating if he didn’t pay $500 worth of Bitcoin, “compromising” photos of him would be published. The man further reported that he was homeless and was genuinely curious as to what those photos might entail. He was advised it was a scam.

• A store employee reported a man was throwing things in the parking lot. Police found a man who had dropped a case of water and was throwing items into a garbage can.

August 14

• Police checked on a man who appeared to be stuck in his wheelchair near a busy intersection. The wheelchair’s battery had died, and the officer pushed the man back to his apartment, plugged in his wheelchair, escorted his service dog inside, and assisted in putting groceries away.

• A caller reported several women screaming and cursing late at night. Officers arrived and found a lone man at the location who advised he heard no such thing.

• A caller reported a man sleeping in the bus transfer station who was not responding to several horn blasts used to attempt to wake him up. Officers arrived and found the man was just fine, but is deaf, which is why he didn’t hear the horn.

August 15

• A man reported that unknown hooligans had placed a drill bit under his tire, which punctured and damaged it.

• A caller reported someone screaming and yelling at a bus stop. Officers found a man who was upset about losing his bus pass.

• Officers were dispatched to a reported physical altercation between a man and woman in an alleyway near Pacific Avenue late at night. Both people took off running when police arrived. The woman was stopped and initially uncooperative. A K9 unit tracked the man, who also had an outstanding felony warrant, to an apartment. Officers forced entry into the apartment, and the man was arrested without further incident.

— Visit to get Oregonian/OregonLive journalism delivered to your email inbox.